Thursday 28 July 2011

Mental Game

This week's training has been all about mental conditioning. It is not that we planned it this way, but it just happened that I have been more mentally challenged than physically challenged during the work outs. All three work-outs were on the treadmill. I am so happy that we have it, but it is more

Monday I warmed up with a 9 minute mile and then did 4 miles at 8:34-8:41 pace. I felt great and the only "negative" aspect was the fact that it gets pretty warm in the room when I run so I sweat like crazy. I was happy to report five mile work out to the coach.

Tuesday was a tempo run. I duplicated last week's run and warmed up for 10 minutes and then I ran for 20 minutes at 7:54 pace. Overall distance was 3.51 miles.

Yesterday's run was an interesting one. I was planning on running for six miles. I couldnt get my butt out of bed at 6 am so it was destined to be another treadmill run. It gets tricky to do longer runs while the kids nap since there is no guarantee how long they will sleep. And I made the mistake of waiting for a while before starting my run, so Saku ended up walking to my room after 2.5 miles. I stopped running and Prison Break, handed the iPad to Saku and put Yo Gabba Gabba on for him. For the next 2.7 miles, I just stared at the wall in front of me. I barely even run without music outside so this "no distraction" run was hard, but I did it. I didn't run all 6 miles, but finished at 5.2 miles. However, I felt good about it. I know I can physically run 6 miles and longer, so this mental challenge was good. The "old me" would have stopped running when Saku walked into the room, but I didn't let it be an excuse to stop the work out.

I also put away the scale. I wont weight myself for a while. I was getting really frustrated because the numbers wouldn't get smaller even though I am looking and feeling a lot better. So I will just concentrate on getting faster and stronger and hopefully when I do step on that scale again, the numbers will look good as well. On my last weight-in, I was between 131 and 132 so we will see what happens as my training gets more intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment